Frequently asked questions
1. What are the dates and times for TOOLFEST?
The kick-off event for TOOLFEST will be on Thursday October 14, 2019. The event will begin at 8:30 a.m. and is scheduled to end by 11:30 a.m. At this event schools are invited attend. After the kickoff event, TOOLFEST will come to your school upon request and host a tool demonstration and discuss careers with your students. To request us to your school, please complete the form on the request page.
2. What exactly is TOOLFEST?
TOOLFEST is an education program for students from various public schools & education programs in Washington, DC. The festival/program will introduce students to professionals in the Professional Building Trades, allow students to work on small safe demo projects and engage with the construction industry in the Washington metro area. Examples of projects/ demos include, students having the opportunity to try on hard hats and safety glasses. The program will also include students being taught about and able to see some basic hand tools, as well as a few advanced tools. No student will be exposed to tools that will comprise their safety.
TOOLFEST is a major way that Wise Young Builders both raises awareness of our programming and gear up for our summer camp season. Youth & attendees will engage in games, see tools, and participate in activities to engage their interest in construction and math.
3. What ages or grades does the program/event target? What ages or grades will you visit in schools? What are the age limits?
While we welcome youth from the ages of 8 and up. Our focus is students ages 8 [third grade] and up. While our priority is students ages 8-14, we are open to students in higher grades. Please signify on the request form if you have older students.
4. How much does the event cost to bring to attend or bring to our school?
The event is at no cost, however, we will request a thank you letter for our sponsors and partners.
5. What types of activities will be offered?
Examples of projects/ demos include, students having the opportunity to try on hard hats and safety glasses. The program will also include students being taught and able to see some basic hand tools, as well as a few advanced tools. No student will be exposed to tools that will comprise their safety.
6. Will students use any dangerous tools?
No! No student will be exposed to any dangerous tools.
7. How long are the sessions?
Generally, the in school session is for 35-45 minutes. The max time is a 50 minutes session and we do encourage a prompt start.
Yes, we are a 501(c)(3) public charity recognized by the IRS. Your donation is tax-deductible to the fullest extent permissible by law.
9. Who organizes the TOOLFEST event?
TOOLFEST is organized by Wise Young Builders, a math & carpentry program for youth ages 8-14 years of age. WYB uses carpentry to strengthen children’s math skills while teaching skills in construction trades. WYB participants benefit from early exposure to the building trades through field trips and visits from developers, contractors, master electricians, carpenters and other experts who use math every day in their fields. WYB is a 501(c)3 organization.
10. I am having problems registering. What should I do?
The registration system is compatible with any device that has an internet connection. If you encounter problems, we recommend the following:
1. Make sure you are using the most recent version of your browser.
2. If you are using an outdated version, please upgrade and refresh your browser.
3. If you encounter problems with one browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) try an alternate such as Google Chrome or Mozilla.
4. Certain mobile devices may require you to enable cookies before proceeding. If you encounter any problems, please call 202.573.9025 or email email@example.com